Saturday, November 8, 2014

Clootie Dumpling Scones

Clootie Dumpling is a traditional Scottish dish served for dessert or fried up with eggs for breakfast. I love it! And, when I saw a recipe for clootie dumpling scones I knew I would love them too! And, since they take about 4 hours less to make than the dumpling itself they are a great alternative! I substituted gluten free flour blend for the all-purpose flour and no one knew the difference!



Clootie Dumpling Scones
(adapted from Scotland National Trust)

3 cups all-purpose flour (or use gluten free flour blend)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. mixed spice*
8 Tbsp. butter
1 small grated apple
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup raisins
1 Tbsp. molasses
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425F. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and mixed spice -- I use a whisk to make sure everything is evenly incorporated. Cut in the butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Dump in the apple and raisins and mix. Add the molasses, two beaten eggs and milk and stir until just mixed. May add another tablespoon of milk if too dry. Knead dough a few times on a floured surface to pull it all together. Pat out until about 3/4 inch thick and cut into rounds. Place on a greased baking sheet (I just use parchment paper on my baking sheet) and bake at 425 for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned on top.



*This is a British staple that contains cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and coriander -- sometimes other spices as well. It gives these scones their "clootie dumpling" flavor. However, you can substitute pumpkin pie spice if you don't have access to mixed spice.



4 comments:

Heather said...

These look really good! I think we shall have to make these for tea this week.

Madelief said...

Your scones look delicious Heather! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I hope you and your sister will get your allotment and little shed some day!

Madelief x

The Quine 29 said...

This recipe was recommended to me and is a firm favourite in coffee morning circles. It keeps well and is lovely and moist. M

Becki said...

Oh! Those look wonderful.