Monday, February 25, 2008

Fruit Compote

This is a variation on an original from Delia Smith in her How To Cook Book Two. Basically, I used what I had, and changed the liquid amounts to compensate. So here's a basic recipe of what I might have done:


1 cup of dried apricots roughly chopped (could use any dried fruits -- Delia used prunes)
1/2 cup golden raisins
4-5 apples, peeled and chopped in chunks (basically all the apples in the fruit bowl that were on their way out!)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
Some cinnamon, ginger, and cloves
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup white wine (can use apple juice instead)
1/2 cup brandy (can use apple juice instead)
extra apple juice if needed
I dumped everything into a saucepan and made sure there was enough liquid so that it wouldn't go dry on me. Then, I simmered it for about 45 minutes until things were nice and soft and the liquid was nearly gone. Excellent with pork or chicken, and really lovely on scones or toast!

No comments: